BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Like Us On Facebook!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

House guest...or permanent resident?..

Chase and I have a new addition to our household...MY brother. Yep, I can't believe it either. I am living with my brother again after 5 years of bliss lol. My little bubba has decided to live with Chase and I because of conflict with my Dad. He graduates from high school this May so he has the "I am an adult syndrome". O-M-G. He doesn't have a clue.

All joking aside, I really feel the pressure of trying to do right by him. I want to give him the freedom he wants with the structure and guidance that he rebels against. We have talked about the rules together(and there are only 3!!) and I have even written up a Behavior Contract. This is definitely a pivotal time in his life and I really want him to make the best decisions. I sincerely hope this isn't just a place to stay until he gets a job and graduates, only to move in with one of his friends- they aren't exactly who I would want him to associate with.. This could be a good opportunity to have freedom yet appreciate family and the help we could give him.

I wish I could just make him understand what I already know--Being an adult isn't really that fun. Forget freedom, let's talk bills and responsibility. Once you move out on your own, you cross an invisible line. People then expect you to be an adult- go to work everyday, pay your bills, make intelligent decisions. I moved out when I was 18 and I struggled. I don't want that for him.

These next few months should be interesting to say the least. I have never had the responsibility of looking after someone other than myself. Hmmmm I might go crazy with a hormonal teenager in my house!!!! If I don't blog for a couple days somebody may need to check on me.

2 comments:

Karla said...

good luck,,, im glad that you are there for him,,, i hope that he realizes what he has(you). I wish we could give all kids a brain transplant during times like this,,,hang in there..

i love you...

Ashley said...

Thank you.I love you too! We got him all set up upstairs and he seems to really like it. He has been polite and helpful and even made his bed lol. Maybe this will work :)...